Sukhdham traces its history to the 19 th century. After what happened in the 1857 mutiny, Sukhdham was built as the residence of the British Agency Surgeon in c. 1870. It continued to house a series of British doctors till 1922 when it was handed over to the Kotah State. It was then christened ‘Sukhdham’ by His Highness Umed Singhji, Maharao of Kotah.
In 1929 it became the residence of Col Th. Prithvi Singhji, MBE, GOC Kotah State forces.He was the second person from Rajasthan to get the Kings Commission and had a distinguished career in the Indian Army and saw action in the First World War. On retirement he joined Patiala forces before coming to Kotah to raise the Umed Infantry
After his death in 1960, his only son, Th. Jaswant Singhji, who served in the Indian Railway Traffic Service( 1938-72) continued the tradition albeit in a different way. He took to music and history with passion. For posterity he bestowed his three volume collection of the songs and ballads of princely Rajasthan compete with musical notations.Read More..
Sukhdham is family run and prides itself on personal service and high standards at reasonable rates. It has all the facilities of a modern hotel. The large airy rooms with exquisitely carved stone balconies and open terraces make your stay in Sukhdham very special.view all services